Business Roles Outside of the Private Sector
Executive Branch: Department of the Treasury, Department of Commerce, Department of Labor, State Department, etc.
- Sample job roles: financial/budget analysis, accounting
Executive Office of the President of the United States
- Example 1: Office of Management and Budget (OMB)
Sample job role: budget analysis and execution for POTUS
- Example 2: Office of the U.S. Trade Representative (USTR)
Sample job roles: financial management, trade negotiations
Pathways Recent Graduates Program and the Presidential Management Fellows Program are notable channels to enter the federal government after undergraduate or graduate school
State & Local Government
State level example: Empire State Development for New York State
Local level example: NYC Mayor’s Office
- Sample job roles: economic development, financial analysis, data analytics, communications, software engineering
Example 1: U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- SEC has divisions for international affairs, investment management, trading, compliance & examinations, accounting, etc.
Example 2: Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC)
- Sample job roles: accounting, financial budgeting, futures trading investigation
Example 3: Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
- Sample job role: statistician
Government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs) and Federal Home Loan Banks (FHLBs)
GSEs: Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac
- Sample job roles: data science, risk management, capital markets, financial modelling, financial analysis, communications, marketing, asset management
12 FHLBs in the U.S.
- Sample job roles: risk management, financial analysis
Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
- 12 regional reserve banks + Board of Governors in Washington, D.C.
- Areas: financial regulation & financial institution supervision, monetary policy & operations, financial markets, technology, corporate finance, executive office, data management (data & statistics function)
Other central banks: Bank of England, European Central Bank, Bank of Japan, etc.
International Financial Institutions
International Monetary Fund (IMF), World Bank, Inter-American Development Bank, World Trade Organization (WTO)
- Sample job roles: communications, finance, accounting
Example: political campaigns
- Sample job roles: accounting, financial budgeting, fundraising (finance department), data analytics, software engineering, communications, advertising, digital media
Examples: Brookings Institution, Pew Research Center, Manhattan Institute, Center for American Progress, Roosevelt Institute, Peterson Institute, Urban Institute, etc.
- Sample job roles: accounting, finance, communications, digital media